After years of having long hair, you might decide to cut it off. Short hair is a great change you can make to improve your appearance. It is easier to maintain and you would have a lot of hair freedom. As fun and nice as having short strands is, it could get boring at times. To add a bit of glamor and style to your hair, you can decide to add curls to it.
Many people use heat to curl their hair. It is a quick and easy way to do this. But it is not the healthiest or best method. As a result, it is wise to avoid this method.
Using heat on your strands for a long time can damage them. It could cause women’s hair thinning at the temples and the center of the scalp. It can also lead to split ends. Thankfully, there are non-heat methods that you can use to curl your strands.
This article will give guidelines on these non-heat methods to use, as well as, their benefits. We hope you find them helpful.
Non-heat Curl Methods to Apply After a Hair Cut
The following are some of these methods and how to effectively utilize them:
Fabric Strips Technique
This is an old method of curling. Many people love this technique. It is environmental-friendly and encourages the use of recycled materials. You can use just any fabrics you own for this method.
This method follows these steps:
- The first thing to do is to get a piece of fabric for this technique. You can use a scarf or old clothes you own.
- The next thing to do is cut the fabrics into strips based on the length of curls you want.
- Afterward, wash your hair thoroughly.
- When it is about to dry, apply setting cream on it.
- Comb the strands to remove tangles and knots.
- Divide into equal sections and style patterns.
- Wrap and tie each section with the fabric.
- Leave for five hours, and then remove the strips.
- Use your fingers to comb out the curls.
Bobby Pin Technique
This is an ancient way of curling the hair. You use bobby pins to clip the strands. This technique works perfectly for people that recently had a haircut.
To effectively use bobby pins, ensure that you follow these steps:
- Wash your strands with shampoo and put setting cream or gel on it.
- Comb thoroughly to remove knots and tangles.
- Divide your hair into two or four sections and make sure that each section is even.
- Wrap your strands around your finger and away from the scalp.
- Secure the strands with bobby pins or clips. Ensure that the clip goes on top of the curl.
- After completing step 5, make sure that you add mist with a setting spray.
- Leave this for a few hours before removal. If you want to sleep with them, cover your head with a turban to avoid frizzing.
The bobby pin method takes a long while to dry than other techniques, so take your time and wait till it is completely dry. When dry, carefully remove the pins and finger comb the strands. This would help your strands curl better. For other ways to maintain your curls, you can read this article.
Flex Rods or Rollers Method
This employs the use of flex rods or foam rollers. It is also an old method of curling hair. The first thing to consider when using this technique is the size of the flex rods or rollers. If you want smaller and tight curls, you can use flex rods to achieve that look. If otherwise, big rollers can be of help.
You can visit a salon for this method or you can do it yourself, the choice is yours. If you decide to go for the latter, make sure to follow the following steps:
- Let your hair be slightly damp or wash thoroughly then blot with a towel.
- Comb the strands to detangle it.
- Divide into sections and spray with a setting spritz.
- Start rolling each section till you cover all areas.
- Remove the flex rods or rollers after four hours.
This method is convenient and easy to carry out. If you don’t like sleeping with fabric strips or rollers, you would love this technique. It involves the following steps:
- Make your hair damp and apply setting gel or cream.
- Detangle the strands
- Put the headband on your head
- Wrap each side of your hair and put it under the headband. The tighter the wraps are, the tighter the curls would be.
- Put on a shower cap to reduce the risk of frizzing as you sleep.
- Remove your hair from the headband when you wake up and finger comb thoroughly.
If you would like to carry out this method, here are some steps to take:
- Shampoo your hair and blot with a towel.
- Detangle to remove knots
- Apply setting gel.
- Then scrunch the strands with gel in your palms. Scrunch from the scalp to the ends of your strands.
- Use a diffuser to dry quickly or air dry.
You might love this technique if you don’t like sleeping with anything on your head. This method doesn’t work for all short hair, especially people with really straight hair. If you would like to see how to do this technique, check here: https://www.wikihow.com/
Benefits of Non-heat Curl Methods
If you choose any of the above-mentioned techniques, you can be sure of these benefits:
No Case of Thinning
By not using heat, you avoid damage to your strands including thinning. Instead of your hair volume reducing and becoming scanty, it would become fuller and have more density.
No Split Ends
It is common for strands to have split ends after using heat. The curling iron might mistakenly burn the strand’s ends. You wouldn’t have split ends when you try out any of the non-heat techniques.
Ultimately, by avoiding the use of heat, you can maintain healthy and beautiful short hair.
Adding curls after a haircut can beautify and improve your appearance. It can also add to its health. Ensure that you follow the methods above when doing this.